Pages

Monday, April 8, 2013

I am in love with Willis (Street)


I realized today that I have not written about my FAVORITE lunch spot.  On the corner of Willis Street and Cass Avenue in Detroit's Midtown lies two gems - Goodwell's Natural Food Market and Avalon International Breads.  

It is really a fight inside my brain as to which one I will get my lunch from almost every day.  If I go to Avalon, odds are I will get the Mediterranean Chick Pea Salad, a Cosmic Cranberry Kombucha and a Vegan Granola Bar.  If I go to Goodwell's, odds are I will get a Famous Vegan Pocket Sandwich with Avocado a Cosmic Cranberry Kombucha and either dried mango or kale chips.  This is pretty standard unless I grab something off of the day old shelf at Avalon (I scored and hit the jackpot one day and there were four Vegan Granola Bars in a bag for $2…a total bonus) like date bars or scones.  Or, I change it up and get a soup from Goodwell's, which can happen on any given day depending on the choices.  Or I go crazy and go to both!


Photo credit AvalonBreads.net

The reason I love these two places is because of their food, ingredients, taste and local nature.  Avalon makes everything right there.  Goodwell's makes everything right there.  Each uses quality ingredients and since that is important to me, it works out well.  PLUS, the staff at each establishment is awesome.  Case in point…I was having a particularly ruff day at work when I arrived at Avalon for my lunch, late and tired.  I got my usual and noticed that the woman behind the counter gave me a little smile.  I smiled back not thinking anything of it.  When I got into my car, I decided to eat my granola bar while in the car because it was that kind of day.  When I opened the bag, there were two granola bars inside.  I was so happy!  It turned my day around completely and I have the woman at Avalon to thank for that!

Avalon is a bakery and makes wonderful breads and desserts, but they also carry coffee, salads, soups and sandwiches as well as some local products.  Their breads are sold all over Southeast Michigan.

Goodwell's National Food Market carries a variety of organic and natural grocery items as well as organic produce as well as soups, sandwiches, salads and other grab and go items.


Two musts!
Vegan Granola Bar from Avalon
Famous Vegan Pocket Sandwich from Goodwell's.

Eat It!

No comments:

Post a Comment